- Physical Warmups – Stretch, Shoulders, Chop, Kneed, Spine, Switch, Chop, Kneed, Spine (15 seconds/per). Forward – Wake up your face, jaws, temples, scalp (15 seconds/per).
- Announcement: The date of the Winter Concert is December 14th in order to allow more student participation.
- From here, proceed to the TED Talks. Discussions can be verbal with a small group so long as the class continues to report back regarding it’s findings. If discussion fails to bear functional responses, students may respond in writing for a grade. Students should likewise be prepared to review their findings on Monday.
TED Talk – John Legend – https://www.ted.com/talks/john_legend_true_colors
- To you, what is “True Colors” is about?
2. What purpose could this song serve in YOUR life? Why do you think it is important to show your “True Colors” to the people who surround you?
TED Talk – Clayton Cameron – http://www.ted.com/talks/clayton_cameron_a_rhythm_etic_the_math_behind_the_beats
- As Clayton runs us through “A-rhythm-etic,” do you start to better understand the relationship between math and music? How does it make you feel?
- How can we use this process in our singing and performance of pieces in rehearsal?
TED Talk – Tim Hansen – http://ed.ted.com/lessons/how-to-read-music-tim-hansen
- How has this TED Talk helped or refined your understanding of how to read music notation?
- What questions, if any, do you still have regarding the reading of music notation?
TED Talk – Eric Whitacre – http://www.ted.com/talks/eric_whitacre_virtual_choir_live
- How does the concept of a virtual choir move advance the process of musical performance?
- Do you believe this is a process in which you would like to participate in? Why or why not?
- Describe “Cloudburst” as a young singer would, using whatever language you would like. Describe the soloists’ voices, inflection, and support – what do you notice? How would you describe the sound of this choir? Why do you think this?
- Do you feel that this is a permanent replacement for active, live performance? Why or why not? Where do you think this would work best – what kind of venue? Would you pay to attend a live-streamed concert of your favorite artist or group? Why or why not?
- Eric Whitacre’s music has, for some time, been known as the “forefront of modern choral composition.” Why do you think this is?